U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) announced the launch of a new mobile application to enable travelers potentially eligible to enter under the Visa Waiver Program to submit ESTA applications from their smartphones, mobile devices or tablets. Users are able to download the free ESTA mobile app from the App Store (Apple) or the Google Play Store (Android).
Prior to the launch of the ESTA mobile app, travelers applied for authorization only through the official CBP website, which continues to service ESTA applications. With the new ESTA mobile app, travelers are able to:
- Launch an ESTA application;
- Scan an image of their passport;
- Have their passport read and confirmed;
- Upload a live video selfie to confirm their identity;
- Add personal and travel details to their application;
- Answer eligibility questions;
- Review and submit their application;
- Make changes or updates to their application or profile;
- Receive notifications and application status updates;
- Store their preferences and profile details within the app.
According to CBP, the ESTA mobile app is available in 24 different languages and was designed to serve travelers in all 40 countries whose citizens are permitted by DHS to travel to the United States for business or tourism for stays of up to 90 days without a visa.