As expected, a new edition of the I-9 employment eligibility verification form has been issued for public use. The new edition is dated 10/21/2019 and will become mandatory on May 1, 2020.
Through April 30, 2020, employers can continue to use the previous edition of Form I-9, dated 07/17/2017.
The new edition of Form I-9 lists additional countries in the Country of Issuance field in Section 1, among other minor changes which are visible only when a user completes the fillable form on a computer.
Other revisions to Form I-9 instructions include:
- Clarification on who can act as an authorized representative on behalf of an employer;
- Updated USCIS website addresses;
- Clarifications pertaining to acceptable documents;
- An updated process for requesting the paper Form I-9; and
- An update to the DHS Privacy Notice.
Employers should ensure that the new form is integrated into their employment eligibility verification systems and processes in time for May 1, 2020.